Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Led Zeppelin stole some songs off others

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Led Zeppelin stole some songs off others

    so a guy claims he can back up his claims that Zep stole some of their biggest hits from other artist. The first song he provides proof for is Stairway To Heaven. a band Zeppelin use to open for called Spirit had a song called Taurus that is basicly the original music to Stairway.


    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Led Zeppelin stole some songs off others

    you can listen to Taurus here

    http://music.yahoo.com/track/825329
    And, of course, there's 'Taurus'. All of you certainly know this song even if you have never heard it before. How? Simple. After a brief, gentle strings and Mellotron introduction, Randy California picks up his acoustic and plays a melody that was... yeah, sit up straight: almost perfectly, note-by-note nicked off by Jimmy Page for the main acoustic riff of 'Stairway To Heaven'. Okay, so he changed a couple of chords to make it impossible for Randy to sue him, but that doesn't change the essence - and since it is historically documented that Led Zeppelin once used to open the show for Spirit and Page took a particular interest in 'Taurus', the fact may be considered proved. Not that 'Taurus' is really better than 'Stairway To Heaven' - but it's just different, a short, moody instrumental, with none of 'Stairway's epic magnificence, but also with none of its banal pretentions.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Veritas's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2002
    Posts
    255
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Led Zeppelin stole some songs off others

    Led Zeppelin had the reputation of ripping off lots of early blues artists especially on their early albums. Read the book "Hammer of the Gods" if you desire more information.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Led Zeppelin stole some songs off others

    All artists borrow and steal from other artists...doesn't diminish Zep tho
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Led Zeppelin stole some songs off others

    Nope. Greatest rock band ever.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  6. #6
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Led Zeppelin stole some songs off others

    doesn't really bother me either way, but this guy must really "hate" Zeppelin to go on a rampage about it and a buddy of mine is kind of disappointed when he heard this stuff. I don't really care for Zeppelin myself but I won't deny their influence on Rock music
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  7. #7
    The_Sage
    Guest The_Sage's Avatar

    Re: Led Zeppelin stole some songs off others

    Wonder if KASHMIRE is a stolen song,,, and I AM HUGE LED FAN,,,

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Led Zeppelin stole some songs off others

    I thought they got all there greatness form Jimmy page selling his soul to the devil. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    GO VOLS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •